October 9, 2013

Hugnaligt, tónleikur, og Føroyskt

Hey tit! Much has been happening over the past week, so there is much to write about.

Hugnaligt

This has become one of my favorite Faroese words. It is a mix between "cozy" and "home-y". Needless to say, it is one of my favorite "feelings" as well. The evening's and morning's in the Faroe's are becoming more and more hugnaligt by the day. Because the islands are so far north, in the summer it is light almost all day and in the winter it is dark almost all day. In Minnesota, it would be a month before I said to myself, "Wow, it gets dark so much earlier now". This morning I said to myself, "Wow, it's a lot darker than yesterday morning". This is not a bad thing, it's just different and will take some getting used to! By Christmas time, there will be about three hours of faint daylight. Like I said, it will be very hugnaligt. The banks and other public facilities give out free reflector bracelets that you can snap onto your backpack, jacket, etc. so that you are safe to be outside. I'm quite excited, actually! I've never experienced this before.

Tónleikur

I have been discovering a lot of Faroese music lately! I thought I'd share some of it with you all.

Here is one of my favorite's that many of my friends have shown me. The are called BYRTA - pronounced "beer-shta". The video is a little strange, but this is one of my favorites. She reminds me a bit of Madonna.


The next is a Faroese youth choir. They are called Xperiment, and they are super fun to listen to. I was going to see them in concert along with other youth music groups, but they ended up not being there. The other band was great, though! I couldn't find any video's of them. Anyways, here they are! The video is fantastically made, too.


Here is another duo, Eyðun Nølsoe and his brother (?) Terji. I think I saw them at the Nordic House once, but I am not sure if it was them. I am almost positive. Anyways, they were very popular in the 80's, but are still making great music. I like them very much - Dad, I think you would as well. Here is one of the songs they do together (Eyðun also does a lot of his own music).


And lastly, for my rap-loving people, here is the only Faroese rapper - Swangah Dangah. I can't say he's the greatest, but I have to give you the full range of Faroese music. Here is one of his most popular songs. The only word I can understand in this song is "Føroyar".


There is something for everyone, I hope you enjoy!

Føroyskt

Aside from understanding Faroese rap, the Faroese is REALLY coming along. I am so happy about this. Today I spoke only Faroese with my classmates, and for the first time, I was understandable without having to be helped. It is getting to the point where I am able to learn Faroese, while speaking Faroese - those of you who have learned another language before will know what I am talking about. It's very exciting! I can also understand almost everything that's being said when the Faroese is written out, aside from a few words that I have to look up. It really does get easier every day. I'm starting to feel much less stressed about my second host family being told to only speak to me in Faroese. Speaking of which, I switch host families in the middle of November! Whoa. Time sure flies. I am going to miss my current host family SO much and while it makes me very sad to leave, I'm excited to get to know my second host family as well. But anyway, Katie tosa eitt sindur Føroyskt! Woohoo!

This is all for now, I hope you enjoy the music and that everyone has a good week! 

Farvæl,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment